[Xapian-discuss] Lucene & Solr

Henry henka at cityweb.co.za
Fri Nov 28 13:23:48 GMT 2008

Quoting "Charlie Hull" <charlie at juggler.net>:

> Can anyone help? I'm looking for both differences between the two
> systems and perhaps the reasons why you chose Xapian in the end.

Our searching occurs on a cluster of many machines.  Having to
maintain *yet another* complicated and resource hungry system (Java
VM) seemed stupid and wasteful to us.  I'm going to get flamed :), but
using Java for anything is like using an aircraft carrier to dig a
furrow on the beach.  Java == better designed PHP.

We naturally gravitate to any system which is coded in C/C++ with
higher level interpreted language bindings (Perl in our case, other
ankle-biters enjoy Python or Ruby for some obscure reason ;)  *No*
other high-level language is faster than C/C++.  For us, Search is all
about performance (then nice stuff such as sorting, etc).

Think about it:  why doesn't Google use Java as their search engine?

Finally, we chose Xapian since it's mature (just works), has a Perl
interface,  is still under active development, the docs are good and
there's an active and friendly community.

Cheers
Henry