[Xapian-discuss] time to build index

Jeroen van Dijk jeroentjevandijk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:16:15 BST 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to get Xapian running with Ruby and Rails with act_as_xapian.
Unfortunately I don't get further then building the index which takes
forever. Can you give an indication of what should be normal?

I have a Mysql database (version 5.045) with 1.8 million records which I try
to index by Xapian on the fields name (VARCHAR 255) and description (TEXT).
Most of the descriptions are empty.

The indexing process got to 1.2 million records and then it lost the
connection (my own fault i guess) after 16 hours and had built up an
indexing database of around 300mb.

Should I be suspicious or should I just wait a little longer?

Hope to get Xapian working because it has nice features!

Cheers,
Jeroen