[Xapian-discuss] Removing unused terms?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Oct 24 23:58:32 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 08:07:20PM +0200, marco.villegas at dokeos.com wrote:
> I was searching how to remove a term from a Xapian DB on Xapian API[1],
> but I could not find the right member function on the classes.
>
> Is there a way to do that?
>
> The main reason I want to do it is cleaning up unused(not associated
> with documents) terms.

If you remove all documents which contain a term, the term no longer
exists in the database.  No need for manual clean-up.

If you're still seeing such terms when iterating all terms in the
database and are using Xapian <= 1.0.7, try upgrading to 1.0.8 -
that fixes bug#287 which I suppose might cause such a problem:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/287

The Debian/Ubuntu packages of 1.0.7 also contain this fix as an extra
patch.