[Xapian-discuss] Making SORTAFTER useful in omega?

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Mon Sep 1 21:43:54 BST 2008

Hello List,

Our users keep asking for some more "logical" sorting of search results.
Now the results are sorted on relevance, i.e. the raw weight, by
default. But since the users only see the percentage, that results in a
seemingly random secondary sorting.

According to the docs and earlier mails, omega has the 'SORTAFTER' (and
docid sorting) functionality to allow date-based secondary sorting. But
according to later mails and the documentation that's only useful if you
don't use the default BM25-weighting. Unfortunately you can't alter the
weighting scheme via Omega-calls.
Nor does it seem to help to simply patch query.cc to use TradWeight
rather than BM25.

Since we've built our set-up around omega, we'd rather not have to build
something similar or patch omega just because its missing a small but
important feature. Is it somehow possible to make the newer results in
the seemingly similarly relevant results sort on top within Omega?

Best regards,

Arjen