[Xapian-discuss] Makefile:379: .deps/xapian_wrap.Plo: No such file or directory

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 1 23:39:00 BST 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 08:31:39PM -0700, David Spencer wrote:
> Briefly: when I try to build xapian-bindings the make command fails with:
> "Makefile:379: .deps/xapian_wrap.Plo: No such file or directory"
>
> When I run configure these are the last few lines:
> I tried running "./configure" and "./configure --without-java --without-tcl
> --without-tcl8 --without-csharp --without-perl --with-python

If you just want Python, you only need "--with-python".

If you explicitly ask for particular bindings, you will only get those
you ask for.  If you don't specify, configure will probe what languages
support is available for and enable those.

Requiring users to explicitly disable every language they didn't want
would be clumsy - it's O(n) in the number of other languages supported,
and it would mean packaging scripts for xapian-bindings would need
fixing for every new language supported.

Many people seem to misunderstand how this works, but it seems the sanest
approach to me, and it is documented (in INSTALL).  If the documentation
could be clearer, please suggest how.

There isn't even a "--without-perl" or "--without-tcl8" option (and you
didn't pass "--without-ruby"...)

> config.status: error: cannot find input file: tcl8/Makefile.in

As James says, your source tree is incomplete for some reason.  You need
to work out why.