[Xapian-discuss] Omindex Filters

Frank John Bruzzaniti frank.bruzzaniti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 18:00:18 BST 2008

I can understand peoples reservations in regards to using scripts and
shells. So I was thinking how about if the plugins were just small
chunks of C code (executables) that do just what the filters now do in
omindex, but omindex would just pass a file name to the correct plugin.
Then the plugin would do it's magic and pass the information back to
omindex.

I'm not qualified to make suggestions as I suck at programming but I
guess the main problem I have being a noob is when I want to use a
feature someone else has made but then they have gone and added like 10
features in one patch so you either have to add them all or try an work
out what bit's you need and this is all made harder if the patch was for
another version of omindex.  Then patch omindex and recompile it and
re-install it.  It would be great if we could dynamically just add
another plugin, test then be able to remove plugins without have to
recompile omindex.