[Xapian-discuss] Order of NOT operand?

David Sauve dnsauve at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:01:58 BST 2009

Hi All,

I'm having a strange issue with NOT queries in my xapian backend for
Django-Haystack.  The query string is generated through user input, and as
such, the order is undetermined.  I wouldn't think that would matter, but
the following two queries are generating different search results:

java AND NOT id:1 NOT id:2
vs.
NOT id:1 NOT id:2 AND java

Logically, I'd think this would be the same, but in practice, it's not.  The
first format seems to generate random results, but the second, generates the
correct results.

Perhaps I'm overlooking something?  I am enabling FLAG_PURE_NOT prior to
parsing the query.

David