[Xapian-discuss] xapian omega

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Wed Dec 9 13:51:31 GMT 2009

On 9 Dec 2009, at 12:09, Jim wrote:

> Omega is a stand along program that does searching only.  It's written in C++ and by using the templates furnished with omega, you can use it to provide a simple web based interface to your data.  The program scriptindex is often used to generate the Xapian database for omega.

omindex may be helpful as well, particularly if you have lots of static data. There's also a Perl script that generates scriptindex-compatible files from a database, in a fairly straightforward way that should be easy to customise (or replace with something in PHP, if that's more your thing).

> To use omega from PHP, I would suggest using the XML template, modifying it to include your specific fields and calling omega via a curl library call.   This would require omega be included in the cgi-bin directory of your web server.
>
> That said, it's probably better to stick with the php bindings.  Why are you looking for a different solution?

omega gives you a fair amount of stuff out of the box, and if it will do what you want on the search side it's often faster to get running than writing your own thing from scratch. You can also do some funky async stuff (eg with curl_multi) if you run omega behind PHP instead of using the bindings directly, which may or may not be helpful.

You can then "upgrade" out of omega later if it proves too limited.