[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Feb 24 05:29:29 GMT 2009

Sorry for the lull in producing Debian and Ubuntu packages.

Part of the problem is that I'm now building them on chroots on an
external USB drive, which tends to overheat with all the disk activity
(wish I'd bought an enclosure with a fan in hindsight).

I've now uploaded packages of 1.0.10 to Debian unstable.  We're going
to try providing backports via the semi-Debian-official backports.org
archive.  This will mean a two week (or possibly more sometimes) lag
as their rules require the package to have migrated to testing before
it can be backported, but it usually took me at least a few days to
build them myself so hopefully that won't actually be so different.

This will also mean that binary packages should be available for
more architectures - in addition to x86-64 and x86, they have buildds
for arm, armel, amd64, ppc, alpha, and possibly also mips and sparc in
future.

Ubuntu now provide signed Personal Package Archives (PPAs) on launchpad
so I've created a xapian-backports team with its own PPA, and uploaded
backported packages of 1.0.10.  As a bonus, this builds for the lpia
architecture as well as the x86-64 and x86 I've previously been able to
offer.  You can find the packages and instructions for use here:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/ppa

Feedback on all this is very welcome.

I've not updated the download page yet - I'd like to get any problems
shaken out by mailing list readers rather than casual visitors, as
I think I'm more likely to hear about them that way!