[Xapian-discuss] cygwin python binding build error

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Jan 5 06:04:01 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:15:26PM +0000, Olly Betts wrote:
> There are cygwin ports packages of Xapian - looking at them here I see
> various patches are being applied, but nobody has told me about these
> before so they aren't in the source code tarballs:
>
> http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/libs/xapian-bindings/
>
> I'll apply the fixes I actually understand shortly, but I don't follow
> why all of them are needed - for example, why -module is dropped from
> *_la_LDFLAGS (but not in all cases - e.g. for Ruby it is left in)?

OK, now applied to SVN trunk (and these changes will get backported for
1.0.11 unless they prove problematic) apart from:

* removal of -module for some languages (as explained above).

* removal of "xapian.pyc xapian.pyo" from pylib_DATA (again, I don't
  understand this change - I wondered if it was Cygwin Ports packaging
  policy, but I didn't find any info about that online; if it is, it
  would be better done in xapian-bindings-1.0.10-1.cygport I think).

* I didn't apply the changes for libtool 2.2.x since once the other
  patches are merged, running autoreconf is presumably no longer
  required.

If any of these are actually required, I'd like to understand why before
applying them.

[cc:ing Reini Urban as I believe he maintains the cygwin packages]