[Xapian-discuss] Problem Installing Ruby Bindings

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sun Jan 18 10:45:24 GMT 2009

I should probably warn that I'm no Ruby expert, and know nothing about
Rails at all.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:51:13AM -0800, Matt Coneybeare wrote:
> I am trying to get xapian and acts_as_xapian installed in my app.  I
> can get it just fine locally, but not on my dreamhost server.  I have
> been following instructions here: http://blog.kevin.colyar.net/2008/08/installing-xapian-on-dreamhost-for-the-rails-acts_as_xapian-plugin/
>     Everything compiles fine and I think all the required files get
> installed as there are no errors during the make and make install.

Did you do step 5?  That looks like how Ruby gets told where to find
the xapian bindings (I don't see LD_LIBRARY PATH mentioned at all).

> I made sure that the path (/home/mconeybeare/opt/my_ruby_modules/) is
> included in my
> [ps6736]$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /home/mconeybeare/.packages/lib:/home/mconeybeare/run/lib:/home/
> mconeybeare/opt/lib:/home/mconeybeare/opt/my_ruby_modules:

The installation instructions for xapian-bindings say:

    And then you'll need to tell Ruby to look for modules in this directory:

	ruby -I$HOME/my_ruby_modules myscript.rb

http://trac.xapian.org/browser/trunk/xapian-bindings/INSTALL

If that works, I guess LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't set correctly, or isn't
being used (is your ruby binary setuid perhaps?)

You could use strace (or similar, depending on OS) to find out what
files dlopen() tries to open.

If that doesn't find the issue, perhaps try asking the blog's author, or
if that doesn't help the acts_as_xapian mailing list might be a better
place to ask - I'd guess there's more Ruby expertise there:

http://groups.google.com/group/acts_as_xapian