[Xapian-discuss] How to install xapian-bindings using a specific version of python

Olivier Lauret olivier.lauret at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:41:42 GMT 2009

Hello,

Sorry if this is not the correct mailing list for this question, it is the
first time I'm using it.

I'm trying to install xapian-binding for python on my server (no root
access) and I have the following problem when I want to use it with my
MoinMoin wiki:

     ImportError: ./_xapian.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_EncodeUTF8

The default python version on my server is 2.4 and the python used to
install and run the wiki is 2.5 (I have not choice regarding this version
because of the wsgi installation!)

When I'm using python2.5 and do an "import xapian", I get the following
message:

   >>> import xapian
   Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/home/eohwiki/lib/python2.5/xapian.py", line 6, in <module>
   import _xapian
   ImportError: ./_xapian.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_EncodeUTF8

When I'm using python (therefore version 2.4) and do an import xapian, it's
working fine.

Would anyone have an idea how I could install xapian-bindings using a
specific version of python (in my case 2.5)?

Thank you for reading my message,
Olivier