[Xapian-discuss] advanced sorting suggestions

James Cauwelier james.cauwelier at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 08:58:36 BST 2009

Hi,

Let me first describe my problem:

PROBLEM

  - I want to query Xapian (no problem here)
  - I want to sort by some other relevance, namely by popularity of
the document relative to this search query.  I want the sort order to
be influenced by clicking patterns after a query has been executed.
If a search for 'tomato' gives a set of results and 90% of the users
click on the third result, then I want to move this document to the
top of the result set.  I would need a logger, which records this
behavior, but I would also need to sort by generated key, if I am not
mistaken.  As a default, I would like to fall back to the default
relevance sorting of Xapian.

I am a PHP programmer and that 's pretty much all I do (I 've done
some perl programming in the past too), so I think I am way over my
head with this.

MY QUESTION

Can I do the subclassing Xapian::Sorter as suggested in the
documentation in PHP?  Or do I need to learn C++? Has this already
been done before in an open source and free solution?  I do not want
to reinvent the wheel...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer this question.  I
appreciate it.

James