[Xapian-discuss] Get Document Position in Search

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Jul 9 22:39:13 BST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 02:14:39PM -0700, Ryan Bates wrote:

> Yeah, it's tricky to keep this kind of session state across requests to a
> web app so I was hoping to avoid that.

It's just a list of maps or something. I used to be heavily against
sessions, but I've grown to accept them over time :-)

(You have to do something clever to avoid the multiple open windows
problem.)

> I also do expect the database to change during the session which
> adds an extra layer of complexity to that approach.  Still hoping
> there is some way to do this on a per-request basis since it would
> greatly simplify things.

You could include the search result page in the URL? Why do it after
the request has ended?

You might be able to ignore the database changing; it requires some
thought about how you present it to yours users, but sometimes you can
just ignore it and save yourself some code :)

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org