[Xapian-discuss] Get Document Position in Search

Ryan Bates ryan at railscasts.com
Fri Jul 10 00:03:32 BST 2009

Thanks for your input!

I ended up working around this problem. Here's my solution for those
interested.

My situation is somewhat
unique, the results are sorted by name (not relevancy) and each name
is unique. This allows me to add an
OP_VALUE_LE
or OP_VALUE_GE condition to the search (whether I want the previous or
next item
respectively). For example.
Xapian::Query.new(Xapian::Query::OP_VALUE_GE, sort_value_id, name)

That query just needs to be combined with the rest of the conditions to
fetch the next item.

It would be nice if this could be done with a Xapian relevancy as well. I
assume this is somewhat possible with Enquire::set_cutoff method which could
be used to fetch the previous record given a document's weight (?). But I
don't know of a way to fetch the next record in this manner because (AFAIK)
it is not possible to fetch all documents less than a given weight.

Ryan