[Xapian-discuss] termgenerator + stopper + ruby not working?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Jul 18 18:00:53 BST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:33:29PM +0100, John Leach wrote:
> I'd expect the TermGenerator to not return terms that the stopper
> returned true for, but it does.  This is the expected behaviour right?

Actually, no.  The stopper is used to avoid indexing stemmed forms of
stopwords, but we still index the unstemmed forms so that searches for
phrases containing stopwords can be supported.

This isn't mentioned in the collated API documentation, but is here:

    http://xapian.org/docs/termgenerator.html

I'll add a note to the API documentation.

There probably should be an option to not index stopwords at all, but
there isn't at the moment.