[Xapian-discuss] Wondering about the n-gram QP ?

Richard Boulton richard at lemurconsulting.com
Tue Jul 21 22:07:07 BST 2009

2009/7/21 Thomas Leitch <Thomas.Leitch at bbc.co.uk>

> I know a good while ago some code was floating around to create an
> n-gram query parser. I'm just wondering if there are any current plans
> for something like that to find its way into Xapian proper ?  We're
> currently pre-generating a load of grams before pushing them into a
> Xapian database, but increasingly we're starting to use custom boolean
> prefixes.  Having a native n-gram query parser would be fab.

There aren't any definite plans that I know of, but it's certainly something
we'd like to do - just haven't got around to it yet.

The relevant ticket is http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/180 - the ticket is
currently marked as something to address in the 1.1 series, and has a high
priority, so the chances are reasonable that it'll get done in the next few
months.

Patches (particularly if they include tests!) will help this process along,
obviously!

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential

No it's not - you've posted it to a public, and publically archived, mailing
list.

> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
> on it and notify the sender immediately.

I don't believe I've received this message in error, so I won't delete it.
 Seriously though, these unreasonable signatures are a bit of a barrier to
communication; I know that some developers on this list will take them at
their word, delete the message, and not reply to it.  So, please don't send
messages with them.  If your corporate IT policies require them to be
automatically added, I suggest using a free email address, such as a
googlemail address, which doesn't have such restrictions.

--
Richard