[Xapian-discuss] redhat rpm install and quick start

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sat Jul 25 00:14:32 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 03:48:14PM -0700, Marc Fromm wrote:

> I installed Xapian and Omega following the instructions for the RHEL
> 5 RPM package found at xapian.org.  I was going to perform the quick
> start instructions, but there is not "omnidex" for the omindex --db
> DBPATH --url / WEBPATH command.

It should have been installed as part of the xapian-omega
package. It'll be in /usr/bin (according to the package I've just
checked manually).

> Is there a walkthrough on how to configure Omega on RHEL 5, or can
> someone give me some direction on how to get an example search
> configured and running?

Once you've successfully installed the packages, the walkthroughs
should pretty much work straight off. /usr/bin is likely to be on your
path, so there's no obvious reason why just running the omindex
command in quickstart wouldn't work; this suggests that the package
isn't fully installed.

(The Omega CGI in the RPMs lives in /var/www/cgi-bin .)

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org