[Xapian-discuss] Xapian over NFS (again...)

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jun 7 20:54:11 BST 2009

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 07:12:27PM +0200, shad wrote:

> Over NFS, readers does not receive any DatabaseModifiedError, so the
> database is never reopened, and the readers work with an old database
> revision, in memory I guess.

Which version of NFS is this? Which client and server? I didn't see
these details earlier, and they may be important.

Some NFSv3 implementations had an optional plugin to 'achieve' caching
at the client side; I put that in scare quotes because AIUI v3 doesn't
have good support to make this work well, ie the cache can get out of
date. (Certainly I've seen that happen, although I can't remember
enough details to say more than that.)

I believe that NFSv4 has more facilities in the protocol to make
client-side caching better. However this certainly sounds like a
caching issue to me. (Note that it may not be in memory on the
clients; it may be down on disk somewhere.)

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org