[Xapian-discuss] Shared Synonyms

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Jun 20 12:54:30 BST 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:58:04AM +0100, Simon Roe wrote:
> I am about to start a list of synonyms for EU countries based on
> creating synonyms for the ISO country code.
>
> I would like to know:
>
> 1) If such a list exists in a format east to use with xapian

Well, the difficulty of using a list in a particular format is really
down to how easy it is to parse the format...

I'm not aware of an existing list at all, though I've never needed to
look for one.

> 2) If not, is there a standard format I could use that would make it
> easy for others to (re)use (csv?)

Something easy to parse is good.  CSV is OK except for different
interpretations of how to handle commas and double quotes, neither of
which should be an issue for synonyms.

> 3) Is there a shared area (even links on the wiki - I can't see one)
> for sharing lists of synonyms?  It would be nice to have some shared
> lists for common synonyms.

Feel free to create a wiki page and add lists as attachments.  Please be
sure to specify a licence for your list!