[Xapian-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2009

Silviu-Ionut Ganceanu silviug at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 12:27:15 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I'm quite new on this list and as I have said in my first email I started
recently to use Xapian on a personal project. I really like the project and
by now I have surfed through the code a bit -- it looks pretty neat.

I'm co-founder of www.infoarena.ro (available only in Romanian) which is a
site and a non-profit organization which promotes excellence among
high-school and college students interested in informatics and computer
science. The members of infoarena team are current or past medalists at IOI
(international Olympiad in informatics) and past interns at Google,
Microsoft & such: http://infoarena.ro/echipa-infoarena.

We really have a algorithmic oriented crowd and I'm sure we can find some
students interested in coding on GSoC projects related to Xapian. Of course,
I could advertise these projects and I can even recruit and encourage them
to apply. I can attract them especially with interesting projects which
involves mathematical and algorithmic skills, like those with building new
weighting schemes or even optimizing parts of the Xapian engine.

On the mentoring part, I don't think that I can help as I am pretty new with
Xapian and probably I, myself, need some mentoring :)

Silviu