[Xapian-discuss] Java bindings for GSoC (was Re: Google Summer of Code 2009)

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Mar 12 01:37:53 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 09:04:46PM -0400, Jarrod Roberson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
>
> > It would be helpful to have someone with more Java expertise to mentor
> > or co-mentor such a project, if you (or anyone else) is interested.

> I can test the java interface, I don't know enough about SWIG to be of much
> use there.

Whereas I'm familiar with SWIG, but not really with Java (which is
largely why my work on new Java bindings stalled).

That's I suggested "co-mentoring" as an option: someone with a better
feel for Java covering that side, me (or someone else with knowledge of
SWIG) covering the SWIG side.

If the student has a lot of experience of Java, that could work too,
though I suspect few would have.  Anyway, we'll see.

> But I can test and provide feedback on a Java implementation.

That would certainly be useful.