[Xapian-discuss] merging user metadata

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue May 12 15:02:30 BST 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:54:46AM -0300, Bruno Rezende wrote:
> I'm using xapian-compact to merge a set of partial indexes into a full one.
> Each of these partial indexes have a user metadata with statistic data about
> the index and I'd like that the resulting index to contain a metadata whose
> value is the sum of partial index metadata. Does xapian support this?

No, we currently just handle merging multiple occurrences of the same
metadata key by picking an arbitrary one and warning if they have
different values.

You could modify xapian-compact to do what you want fairly easily
though.

The long term plan is to make xapian-compact's a thin wrapper around
a new library API, which would make a custom xapian-compact a bit
easier.  I've noted the requirement for custom merging of user metadata
in the existing ticket for this:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/175