[Xapian-discuss] early termination in xapian?

Daniel Etzold detzold at gmail.com
Thu May 14 12:48:25 BST 2009

Hi,

I have a query like "q1 OR q2 OR q3" and the result set should be ranked
by relevance. For that case I'd like to know whether the matcher does
have to read the complete posting lists for q1, q2 and q3 or whether the
matcher supports some kind of early termination so that only a small
fraction of each list of a query term has to be read.

Furthermore, does the matcher first build a M-set for "q1 OR q2" and
than incorporates the results of q3 or does the matcher work on the
posting lists of each query term in parallel?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel