[Xapian-discuss] Clearing Database For Tests

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Tue Nov 3 01:13:55 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 03:36:01PM -0800, Ryan Bates wrote:
> I am currently deleting the database directory and
> regenerating it every time, but I find this to be very slow (nearly
> half a second). This results in even a small number of tests taking a
> long time to run.

I just tried this, and it's more like 0.05 seconds elapsed time on average for
me (including the overhead of running simpleindex).  I tested with:

rm -rf tmp.db
time examples/simpleindex tmp.db < /dev/null

I tested with trunk on Ubuntu karmic with ext3 as the FS.

Half a second seems unreasonably slow, but you're going to have to profile it
to show us why it is so much slower for you.