[Xapian-discuss] Xapian linked-in/port driver for Erlang?

Jarrod Roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Thu Nov 5 21:02:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 4:54 AM, David P. Novakovic <davidnovakovic at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Unless you are sharding the xapian DB i'm not sure what advantage
> erlang/OTP would give over a well written twisted frontend anyway... the
> xapian library is not concurrent writesafe, so you might as well just run
> multiple twisted nodes in front of it with a single process writing to it.
> Obviously there is  ceiling on that too because of the IO restrictions..
>
> Perhaps our erlang friends have other suggestions though..

the machine I am targeting this to is a 32 core machine, other servers we
have written get CPU bound very quickly and I would rather run 1 Erlang VM
vs 26+ Twisted instances, it is just way more manageable. This is to support
a cluster of frontends to multiple Xapian databases eventually, my prototype
in Twisted has gotten really complicated dealing with clusters and cache
coherency and what not.
Right now I am considering a Java/Terracotta implemenation and a Erlang
implementation.

--
Jarrod Roberson
678.551.2852