[Xapian-discuss] relocation against 'a local symbol' on make

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Mon Oct 19 20:10:36 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 01:02:53PM -0500, Ted Pedersen wrote:

> I'm trying to install Xapian on the following sort of system:
>
> Linux marimba 2.6.24-23-server #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 22:14:30 UTC 2009
> x86_64 GNU/Linux

What distribution?

> Before installing (or trying to) xapian-core I downloaded and
> installed zlib from http://zlib.net, using the usual ./configure,
> make, make test, make install sequence, which all worked fine.

As suggested, you may have built zlib as a static library, when (by
default) you'll actually need it dynamically linkable.

However I'm wondering why you're building zlib yourself. Most linux
distros provide it out of the box for you, or easily installable.

  James Aylett

  talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - uncertaintydivision.org