[Xapian-discuss] Xapian on SSD vs SATA

Arjen van der Meijden acmmailing at tweakers.net
Fri Oct 23 13:43:49 BST 2009

On 23-10-2009 14:11, Henry wrote:
> As you can see, keyword queries are quicker, but lack the wow! factor.
> Phrase queries *really* benefit - 10x faster is what one would expect
> from using an SSD.

Why would you have that expectation? If most of the data you're looking
at fits in RAM, then SSD vs normal disk will see only small differences
(not that 2 vs 1.2 is insignificant).

> So,... to conclude:  SSDs provide excellent gains for phrase queries -
> something 99.9999% of users won't use anyway :(

Well, the fastest queries didn't probably need much optimization
anyway... So perhaps you shouldn't bother too much about those faster
queries, they're fast enough to begin with.
Apart from that; You should probably attempt to test a mix of queries to
see how much influence a running phrase query has on the other queries
at that time.

But your results are similar to ours, which I posted a while back to the
list. The fast queries are cpu-bound (on the top-nehalem), even forcing
the system to have only a few GB of memory didn't make it IO-bound in a
our tests.

Best regards,

Arjen