[Xapian-discuss] Strange Weighting issue

John Wards jwards at whiteoctober.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 16:00:35 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Richard Boulton<richard at tartarus.org> wrote:
>> I need all types to return, but with those with a higher rank to be
>> given a boost. The idea is to boost product pages over news pages for
>> example, as even if the news page is textually more relevant the type
>> of content is actually what the user is really searching for.
>
> If you want to _always_ return one type of document before another type,
> you'd be best using Enquire::set_sort_by_value_then_relevance() to sort
> strictly by the type of document first, and then using relevance order
> within documents of the same type.  Using weight is only appropriate if you
> want the combination of ranking order to be somewhat fuzzy.

Sorry a miss understanding, I want relevant documents to return
higher, and I made sure the client knows why we are using Xapian for
relevancy matching.

However we do need to massage the relevancy of Xapian to say boost
something from position 11 to position 3 etc.

I am about to look at the 1.1 branch as that seems to be what I need.....I hope.

Cheers
John