[Xapian-discuss] Powered by Xapian

Daniel Ménard Daniel.Menard at ehesp.fr
Wed Sep 16 13:42:34 BST 2009

Olly Betts a écrit :
> I guess we should think about what licence is most appropriate.  I don't
> think we want to demand verbatim use, but also I'm not sure a completely
> liberal licence is appropriate for what is essentially branding.

Creative-commons ? I'm afraid I won't be able to help on this...
> Jenny Black drew this SVG version a couple of years ago, which should
> be good for making resized bitmap versions, and for different
> backgrounds:
>
> http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/patches/xapian-logo-square.svg

Jenny Black really did a good job, her SVG version is very nice.

I've started to play with Inkscape (never used it before...) to produce
some derivatives (logo with text, powered-by logo, blog style buttons)
with transparent/white backgrounds in different sizes.

May I create a new page on the wiki and upload them so we can discuss
further? Or perhaps a new ticket? Please let me know.

Another point with the logo is the font used for the textual parts
("Xapian" and "Powered by").
By using "What the font" [1] on the upper-left Xapian logo on the web
site, I identified it as being "ITC American Typewriter medium" which is
a commercial/copyrighted font by Linotype [2].

I don't know if this is a problem or not to use a commercial font in the
logo of a GPL project...

By looking around, it seems that the Drupal project had the same
problem. They resolved it by providing a SVG version of the word
"Drupal" so derivatives works can be done without having to buy the font
[3]. On the other hand, Wordpress also uses a licenced font but only
mention it [4].

If you agree, it would be easy to do as Drupal.

Last : I don't know what are the most useful sizes/formats to offer to
users.
If anybody have any hint/recommendation, it would help (for now I've
just taken multiples of 2 for the height: 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 px).

Cheers,

Daniel

[1] http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/
[2] http://www.linotype.com/187375/itcamericantypewritermedium-font.html