[Xapian-discuss] File descriptor leak (?) in Python

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Aug 11 05:29:15 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 05:35:28PM +0200, Joost Cassee wrote:
> I realize that this may no longer be a Xapian issue, but it only seems
> to happen with instances holding Xapian objects.

I don't know about the reference counting issues, but Xapian 1.2 added
a close() method to databases - if you call this then files are closed
and any write locks released, so delays in releasing objects are much less of
an issue (which is why it was added - in some languages garbage collection
happens at unpredictable times, and inadvertent references such as you seem to
have are easy to create and hard to track down).