[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages of 1.2.4

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Dec 25 14:18:05 GMT 2010

Here's your seasonal gift folks - Debian and Ubuntu packages for Xapian
1.2.4.

The Xapian 1.2.4 packages are now in Debian unstable.  Debian is frozen
in preparation for the 6.0 (squeeze) release, which will have 1.2.3
packages.

The Debian backports service still has 1.0.x packages.  In the New Year
(probably in January) I'm intending to switch that to have 1.2.x
packages instead (and I'll start backporting newer 1.2.x packages for
squeeze once it is released):

http://backports.debian.org/

I've uploaded backported packages of 1.2.4 for all "live" Ubuntu
releases except dapper to the Xapian 1.2 PPA on launchpad (jaunty has
now reached end-of-life so I've stopped backported to that):

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/xapian-1.2

I've also created a Xapian 1.0 PPA with a copy of the 1.0 packages:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/xapian-1.0

I'm wondering what is best to do about the main PPA, which currently
has 1.0 packages:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/ppa

I could retire it, and from now on create a new PPA for each stable
release series, which lets people explicitly choose which release series
they want, so they can pick the best time to migrate to a newer release
series rather than have it rather arbitrarily decided for them.

That seems the best option overall to me, but then I'm not a typical
user of these packages.

The obvious alternative I can see is to switch the main PPA to have
Xapian 1.2 packages, but that will mean I either have to duplicate the
packages, or turn off the xapian-1.2 PPA and force people to update
their repository list (and if they don't they'll just get left with the
version of the packages when they last updated.

So feedback is welcome.  If I don't get any, I'll assume the first
option is best (unless perhaps some other plan occurs to me).