[Xapian-discuss] Xapian core dumping on Solaris

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Mon Feb 1 09:57:12 GMT 2010

On 1 February 2010 09:41, Tom <banoffi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with xapian (the matchspy branch, with Python
> bindings) on Solaris 10 / SPARC. Users can run queries for a few hours
> with no problems, then it returns "inflate failed (invalid code
> lengths set)"  to Python and dumps core. gdb reports:

To be clear - when you say "returns "inflate failed ..." to Python",
do you mean that it prints that message out on the console?  Or does
it return a value to python, and then dump core shortly afterwards?

> This doesn't seem to be related to any particular query, and I haven't
> worked out a simple way to reproduce the error. There is no database
> writer while all this happens.

Is this in a single threaded environment?  The most likely cause of
this kind of error is accidentally calling a xapian object from two
threads simultaneously.

> Any ideas? I might try rebuilding with the latest version of zlib -
> does that sound sensible?

Sounds worth a try - what zlib version are you using currently?

> Could it even be a low-level I/O error?

Could be, but it doesn't look particularly likely to me, from that traceback.

--
Richard