[Xapian-discuss] Debian and Ubuntu packages of 1.2.2

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jul 8 13:24:51 BST 2010

I've updated the Debian packaging for Debian and Ubuntu for Xapian 1.2.2.

Currently there are packages of Xapian 1.2.2 in Debian experimental, but
unstable and testing still have 1.0.x until the Debian release team are
ready for a transition.

If you want to use these packages, see here for details as to how:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental

The warning there about "dangerous and harmful" doesn't apply to the Xapian
1.2.x packages.

I'm using a second PPA on launchpad for backported versions of these packages
for various Ubuntu releases:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/xapian-1.2

For Xapian 1.2, I've stopped backporting packages to Ubuntu 6.06 (dapper) as
users conservative enough to stick with such an old release seem unlikely to
want the latest and greatest Xapian release, and the time it takes to continue
to support it can be more usefully spent.

Packages of 1.0.x (currently 1.0.20) are still available from the usual PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/ppa