[Xapian-discuss] multiple value with the same number?

Michel Pelletier pelletier.michel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 22:19:38 BST 2010

I've wanted this feature before as well, and implemented it by using
the python pickle module to serialize the sequence of values into the
value slot.

The problem with this approach is that it makes the slot opaque to
xapian for sorting/collapsing purposes.  For that, we've had to write
a custom MatchDecider that knew how to unserialize the value at search
time.  Eventually we discarded the approach because it was not useful.

Mind if I ask why you want multiple values in one slot?  If you can't
sort/collapse on them, then I don't see them being very useful vs.
encoding the sequence of values into the document's data blob.

-Mike