[Xapian-discuss] Spelling correction confusion

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Jul 28 18:16:37 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:55:37PM +0100, Francis Irving wrote:
> If I spell "commission" wrongly with an s instead of a t, Xapian (via
> the QueryParser's get_corrected_query_string function) is finding
> the right spelling:
>
> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/search/commistion

Hmm, this returns two matches, but neither seems to have "commistion" in
(or anything which might stem to it).

> However, if I miss the s out completely, it doesn't find it:
>
> http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/search/commision
>
> Any idea why that is?

Probably it's this issue:

http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/225

I'm puzzled by the two apparent matches, but if there was a word with the
same stemmed form as "commistion" in those documents you would see this
behaviour, so I guess it is there but in some text not visible in the
view shown.