[Xapian-discuss] Is there a 64 character term size limit? In Ruby bindings?

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Mon Jun 7 22:24:10 BST 2010

Xapian has a term length limit, and the exact limit depends on the
backend in use, but no backend has one as short as 64 bytes: with
flint, the length is 245 bytes, and it was close to that with quartz
(I can't remember the exact details now).  If a document with a term
which is too long is added, the add_document() call will give an
exception (Xapian::InvalidArgumentError), so you shouldn't be getting
terms silently missing from documents.

Are you using the Xapian ruby bindings directly, or some intermediate
layer?  If you're using Xapian directly, I'm not sure what can be
going on, and a test case would be very welcome.

--
Richard