[Xapian-discuss] Interesting xapian-compact observations

Henry C. henka at cityweb.co.za
Fri Jun 11 10:57:10 BST 2010

Greets,

I've had xapian-compact (without -F) sessions running for several days now
on 10 'merge' machines and I've noticed that the average compaction
average can swing wildly:

18% 76% 10% 19% 39% 13% 69% 43% 19% 42%

The average so far is about 35% (ie, 65% reduction in target index sizes,
which is unexpected and pleasingly welcomed).

I'm curious about the large variance in those numbers -- simply the wildly
varying nature of the data being merged (typical website data), or some
other factor I'm missing?

Cheers
Henry