[Xapian-discuss] php5.3 and php5-xapian bindings on ubuntu

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Fri Jun 25 13:29:40 BST 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:38:39PM +0200, Rafi wrote:
> Im trying to install xapian binging on ubuntu 8.04 for  php 5.3, but
> its generaiting error, that this package needs phpapi-20060613+lfs.
> With php 5.3 I've phpapi-20090626+lfs. I've tried to add backports
> from https://launchpad.net/~xapian-backports/+archive/xapian-1.2 but
> still I cant install those bindings - any idea, what I can do more?
> (I've installed latest: libxapian22)

The Xapian backports I build are against the version of PHP in each
Ubuntu release.  They should work against other versions of PHP which
are ABI compatible, but the PHP developers made an incompatible ABI
change in 5.3, and only lucid has PHP 5.3 as standard.

If there was a PHP 5.3 package in hardy-backports I could just create a
new PPA for this, copy the relevant packages in, and rebuild, but there
isn't currently:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/395293

You might be able to use the Xapian packages backported for lucid, but
you are likely to find you need to upgrade glibc and maybe various other
packages too.  If you're running hardy you desire stability, so newer
versions of key components are probably undesirable.

So your best option is probably to build the bindings from source.