[Xapian-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2010

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Tue Mar 9 11:00:05 GMT 2010

On 9 Mar 2010, at 03:14, Jarrod Roberson wrote:

>> Work on SWIG-based Java bindings is already on the project ideas list we
>> put together last year.
>>
>> But are you willing to mentor or co-mentor such a project?
>>
> I don't know SWIG but I can test the Java side of things.

I think we'd need someone with a fair amount of SWIG experience to co-mentor, then. Bear in mind that mentoring is going beyond testing—there's information on http://code.google.com/soc/ about what it entails.

As last year, I'm happy to mentor. I'm probably most useful in terms of Xapian + FOSS project, as I have experience of a number of the ones most likely to come up, and a fairly broad range of experience in common FOSS target languages and platforms.

In theory I have experience of both Java and SWIG, although both are a little rusty. If there was someone keen on that, I'm sure I could bring myself up to speed again.