[Xapian-discuss] FIXMEs in Search::Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Mon Sep 27 14:08:00 BST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:18:24AM +0100, Tim Brody wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 20:50 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> > If you run the top level bootstrap script in a checked out tree, then you just
> > need to run configure --with-perl (just adding it when you run the top-level
> > configure is simplest - other modules will ignore it with a warning).
> >
> > HACKING already documents using bootstrap.
> >
> > I'll add a note about perl not being auto-enabled currently.
>
> From a clean copy of SVN:
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --with-perl
> make
> make dist
> ... /bin/bash: ./doxy2swig.py: Permission denied

The problem is that Python is needed to run this file, but configure isn't
checking for Python because you said "--with-perl".  So PYTHON is unset and
$(PYTHON) ./doxy2swig.py expands to ./doxy2swig.py in make.

I've checked in a fix to check for Python in maintainer mode which should
fix this.

> chmod a+x xapian-bindings/python/doxy2swig.py
> make dist

Hmm, that probably works around the issue, but that file isn't intended to be
directly executable.

> ... make[2]: *** No rule to make target `php/xapian_wrap.cc', needed by
> `distdir'. Stop.

This is a bug in php/Makefile.am, which is masked when the PHP bindings are
enabled.  I've committed a fix for that too.

> > http://oligarchy.co.uk/xapian/trunk/
>
> Those don't appear to include Perl in xapian-bindings.

It does for me - I checked svn15008.