[Xapian-discuss] FIXMEs in Search::Xapian

Tim Brody tdb2 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 15:51:35 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 05:43 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 03:28:52PM +0100, Tim Brody wrote:
> > It needs adding to the .spec file - attached is a first attempt.
>
> This looks wrong (cut-and-paste errors - s/csharp/perl/ and the minimum
> version is clearly wrong too - the XS Search::Xapian seems to need
> Perl >= 5.6, though that may be different for the SWIG-based version):
>
> +%if 0%{?!_without_csharp:1}
> +BuildRequires: perl-devel >= 1.1
> +%endif
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl suggests you shouldn't put
> perl-devel in BuildRequires anyway, but rather list the modules you
> needed.  I'm not sure where the Perl XS/API headers come from though.

subversion-perl requires perl-devel but perl-devel appears to only exist
on Fedora so I've fudged it by requiring ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

Attached is a fixed .spec.in.diff. Should it obsolete perl-Search-Xapian
or should we change the name to perl-Search-Xapian?

I've built xapian 1.2.3 RHEL 5 RPMs here:
http://rpm.eprints.org/

I created a virtual libuuid-devel package to fulfil the BuildRequires in
xapian-core.

And finally actually using ...

There's something odd in perl/util.i:
      if ( ref( $item ) eq 'Search::Xapian::Query' ) {
          push(@arr, ref($item));
      } else {
          push(@arr, $item);
      }

Calling newN directly segfaults:
my $query = Search::Xapian::Query->new( "foo" );
$query = Search::Xapian::newN(
    Search::Xapian::OP_AND,
    2,
    [