[Xapian-discuss] FIXMEs in Search::Xapian

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Wed Sep 29 05:37:24 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 03:51:35PM +0100, Tim Brody wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 05:43 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Perl suggests you shouldn't put
> > perl-devel in BuildRequires anyway, but rather list the modules you
> > needed.  I'm not sure where the Perl XS/API headers come from though.
>
> subversion-perl requires perl-devel but perl-devel appears to only exist
> on Fedora so I've fudged it by requiring ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

The URL above talks about a "split", so I guess perl-devel was split from perl
since the last RHEL release.

> Attached is a fixed .spec.in.diff. Should it obsolete perl-Search-Xapian
> or should we change the name to perl-Search-Xapian?

I'm not sure how best to handle this.  Currently the SWIG version isn't quite
a clean replacement for the XS one, so it's useful for them to co-exist.  But
we don't want to maintain both for long.

So either it's a new package name, or else we switch which is packaged as
that name at some point.

Or if we haven't provided packages of the XS version yet, we could give that
a different temporary name.