[Xapian-discuss] Search::Xapian really slow compared to C++ Xapian

Hanzz Solo honshi at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 28 19:14:01 BST 2010

Hi,

I made a few tests with the Perl module of Xapian and the C++ Version. The
database I'm using consits of 50 000 documents
which are mainly full texts of PFD documents. The database has a size of
about 1,5 GB.

The indexer is written in Perl and does the job pretty fast and uses about
100 MB of RAM which is OK.

Now if I'm searching in the index with a pretty complex search query like
'a* AND b* AND c* AND d* AND e*'
my searcher, which is based on the Perl example code uses about 2GB of RAM
and takes 20 seconds to
finish the search which is pretty much.

The same searcher written in C++ (also based on the example code) uses only
a few MB of RAM and finishes the search in less than
1 second.

Is it normal that the Perl code is so much slower and uses this enormous
amount of RAM?

Cheers,

Gerald