[Xapian-discuss] Request suitability comments

RJM rjm at gandsnut.net
Sun Aug 28 02:30:06 BST 2011

Hello:

I'm  trying  to  find  a search tool for a website I am planning.  The
many  CMS packages I've tried fall short when it comes to configurable
search modules.

I'd   appreciate   comments/suggestions   on the suitability of Xapian
given the following:

a) the  web site under development will have upwards of 1500 URL links
to other Internet locations.

b) each  URL will have -- on a CR/LF terminated line -- keywords that
help define that link.

c) example:   www.freshfood.org  organic | backyard farm | healthy

d) the intended website display of these URLs uses HTML, as in:
| healthy</p>

e) site visitors will have the option to browse the links visually to
select based on the keywords, but a search feature will be drastically
more efficient.

f) the  search  tool should have a configurable submit search form to
enter keywords to initiate the search.

g)  if  the site visitor enters "organic", the search engine should be
able  to  return the whole URL line -- given d) above -- what would be
returned is:  " LINK  organic | backyard farm | healthy "

h)  the  search engine should be configurable as to CSS and pagination
for many URLs returned.

Is Xapian appropriate to use in this case?

Very much appreciated,
Robert
rjm at gandsnut.net