[Xapian-discuss] Excessive memory use when using FLAG_PARTIAL?

Sean McCleary sean.mccleary at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 19:51:16 GMT 2011

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is an easy one, but I've Googled and can't find anyone else
who's mentioned this same problem.

I'm using Xapian (tried both versions 1.0.17 and 1.2.4) with the PHP
bindings on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) and Apache 2.2.14.  I'm using it for an
"auto-complete" in the search form on a web page.  But whenever I use
FLAG_PARTIAL on my search, the memory usage of the apache process quickly
balloons up to almost 100% of the available memory resources, and hangs
there in "Sending reply" status.

The execution of the PHP script finishes, but the apache process is stuck,
and consuming almost all the available memory.

I've found that when I remove the "FLAG_PARTIAL" flag from my query, this
problem does not happen.

Is this expected behavior?  The server this is running on has 512 MB of
memory.  My Xapian index is only 108 MB in size.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean