[Xapian-discuss] Anomaly in Xapian

The Dog's Bollix isxpro at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 21:36:28 BST 2011

HI all,

I'm just testing out the capabilities of xapian and omega.

Environment - Fedora15.

Disk to be indexed - 2GB  - FAT16 filesystem. Named "New Volume"

When I add a text file to the disk, by right-clicking in Fedora and choosing

Create New - > Text File

The system creates the text file as expected. I added some content/words, however, xapian-omega will not index it:

[root at Eagle1 /]# omindex --db /var/lib/omega/data/default --url /media/NEW\ VOLUME/  /media/NEW\ VOLUME/
Text File: Skipping - Unknown extension and unrecognised format

The file it's skipping over is a true text file:

[root at Eagle1 NEW VOLUME]# file Text\ File
Text File: ASCII text

BUT

if I rename the file to

Text File.txt

This seems like a bug to me, since the indexer shouldn't care what the file is called, it should simply index the content (so long as it fits in within the guidelines of files it's designed to index).

Am I doing something wrong?

Kind regards,

Encee.