[Xapian-discuss] Searching using prefixes

Justin Finkelstein justin at redwiredesign.com
Wed Jul 27 14:15:38 BST 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 13:59 +0100, Olly Betts wrote:

> Yes, that should work.

Excellent, thanks. I've just tested it and it seems to work as expect.

> You can print out the query description to check what you got:
>
>       cout << query.get_description() << endl;

I wasn't aware you could do that, so I'll add that in to our debug
output.

> (If you want to see what terms have been generated by indexing to
> compare, see the delve utility which is in xapian-core/examples.)

Got it. Delve shows the terms prefixed correctly.

> Any suggestions on how this could be made clearer in the docs?

Absolutely. The issue with the Term Prefix page is that it doesn't show
you a full example, specifically: here's how you index it and here's how
you search it. In the last example, what would be good would be to have
a separated out example showing how to JUST search the title, rather
than title OR something else.

Would you like to write you a short segment?