[Xapian-discuss] Relevance, weighting and searching by specifically weighted text

Justin Finkelstein justin at redwiredesign.com
Wed Jun 1 11:06:06 BST 2011

Hi guys

In our implementation of Xapian for one of our sites, we index the
title, subtitle, summary and table of contents of around 200,000
products on ReportBuyer.com. When we create each Xapian doc to index
this information, we apply a weighting to each of these 'fields' and add
these to the doc using index_text with the second parameter passing in a
weighting.

I've been asked if it's possible to narrow queries to just a particular
field (translating into fields with a specific weight) within the index.
I've had a look at the reference for the
Xapian_Enquire::set_weighting_scheme method and cannot see a way where
altering the parameters of the BM25 weighting scheme can achieve this.

Is there a way this can be done?

Thanks,

Justin

--