[Xapian-discuss] "Exception: Couldn't read format template `query' (Permission denied)" - help?

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Thu Jun 30 22:05:07 BST 2011

On 30 Jun 2011, at 20:08, The Dog's Bollix wrote:

> The exact error message:
>
> "Exception: Couldn't read format
> template `query' (Permission denied)"

This means that the template 'query', which I think should be installed in /var/lib/omega/templates in your case (although I'm not sure whether `make install` actually does this), can't be read by the omega CGI program.

> The error message indicates a permissions problem, but I've gone back and verified the permissions
> on every file and they are all set to the values listed.
>
> [root at Eagle1 bin]# ls -ld /var /var/lib /var/lib/omega
> drwxrwxrwx. 21 root root 4096 Jun 30 14:46 /var
> drwxrwxrwx. 56 root root 4096 May 18 07:33 /var/lib
> drwxrwxrwx.  5 root root 4096 Jun 30 13:08 /var/lib/omega

What does the following give you:

ls -l /var/lib/omega /var/lib/omega/templates

> When I run omega from the command line it outputs a page of html in the shell

Which suggests that your user has suitable access to the templates, but that your website user or configured CGI user does not.

> When I run this test a query log is created in var/log/omega
[...]
> When I run the omega command as per the OmegaExample page:
[...]
> there is no entry in query.log.

This is expected; the indexer will not write to the query log.

Best,
James

--
 James Aylett
 talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com - spacelog.org